Louis Desjardins flew in from the Munich High End Show to attend to some important business matters relating to his brand. The designer and owner of Kronos showcased a new offering – the Reference Phono Amplifier, at Perfect Hi-Fi’s Kuala Lumpur showroom. The Analogue Fellowship spent an afternoon in his company to see what makes this extraordinary gentleman tick.
- What is your idea of the perfect, reproduced sound?
Something that remains true to its performance, an untainted representation of an actual musical event. Must be transparent, at full frequency, uncompressed with proper dynamics and texture.
- What is your greatest hope for the audio industry?
To be truthful and an ideal for reproduced sound.
- And greatest fear?
That people forget how to listen.
- What is your greatest achievement, so far?
The idea to develop counter rotation.
- What else would you want to achieve in the next 5 years?
- Who do you admire most in the audio design/manufacturing industry of the past?
Thomas Edison. The guy who invented the groove.
- And the present?
- What is your state of mind currently?
Very high energy and focused.
- What did you want to grow up to be when you were young?
Play guitar with Jimmy Page and Robert Plant.
- Where is your most favourite place in the world?
At home with my records.
- What other talents would you like to have?
Patience and diplomacy.
- What is your most treasured possession related to audio?
Any Kronos turntable; just can’t live without it…
- If you were not an audio designer, what would you be?
A rocket builder.
- Who is your favourite superhero and why?
Wonder Woman. Self-explanatory…
- If you can turn back time, what would you do first?
See my daughter for the very first time.
- What was your first hi-fi system?
A Yamaha set (integrated amp & speakers) with a Technics turntable at $499.
- What was your first record bought?
Deep Purple In Rock. Originally, I was looking to buy Jesus Christ Superstar OST but the store didn’t have it.
- What is your greatest extravagance?
My collection of watches.
- What is your motto in life?
Live life like it is your last day.
- Why are you creative, Louis Desjardins?
Because that’s the only way I know how to live.